Thursday, April 12, 2007

CHARITY

Lately, I've been thinking I should start contributing, on a regular basis, to a charity of some kind.

I can admit that I know jack all about politics and world events...so I'm not sure what charity I should become involved it.

I've thought about donating to The Cancer Council...or volunteering to the Look Good...Feel Better (a program that female cancer patients apperance related side of their treatments such as hair loss) because my mum died of cancer 8 years ago. But that all seems a little selfish.

So maybe sponsoring a child in Sth Africa? Tanzania? Ethiopia? There are so many options and so many organisations. How do I choose?

Global Warming is something that I think is a major problem. But again my reasons are a little selfish...I would hate to see a world where every country is in the same climate. There would be no fun in going to Europe in the middle of Winter if it wasn't freezing cold. Or spending some time in Outback Australia would lose its effect.

There are all the natural diasters funds, such as Hurrican Katrina and, more recently, the tsunami in Solomon Islands but that's obviously only a temporary thing.

So I want to know if you donate to a charity, or if you have any suggestions.

9 comments:

Todd said...

I give to the burn centers. If you've ever seen a pediatric burn unit, you'll never forget it. Those are the strongest little kids you'll ever meet.

Ju's little sister said...

I donate to IHC (intellectually handicapped, though they don't call it that anymore - just IHC)

If you analyse any charity you can make it selfish, after all even doing something 'selfless' can make a person feel good about themselves. I would say donate to something that means something to you.

Thanks for your comments about my posts btw - I love the South Island country where I grew up. If you're ever tripping to the south island then I recommend you go white water rafting with Rangitata Rafts (based in Christchurch). You'll raft from the valley there where I grew up :-)

Best of luck with the charitable-ness.

Malnurtured Snay said...

My favorite charity is myself.

*whistle*

Jorge Torres said...

In Mexico there are many little towns in which any kind of facility is available, in my high school there were programs in which you sent food ar contributed with money. That was helping, but i never felt like i was really involved. Then a few weeks ago i visited a Library for blind people and got shocked by the non care help blind people get...i commited myself to help blind people who's trying to study so i decided it was meaningful to me to donate or help in that place!!!!
Don't think about helping organizations (any kind) as something selfish, though it be selfish you are already helping!!!

Eileen Dover said...

The Eileen Dover Sock Fund.

Steph said...

It's not selfish to donate to something that's close to your heart. If anything, it means more.

I'd go the Cancer Council for sure.

simon said...

What we do:- instead of buying each other gifts for Xmas & birthdays..we buy people in Africa things eg push bikes, or a goat( or two), or a well for water.
Does not sound much but a bike can give a family a courier business, a goat makes them a herdsman, and a well for clean water...9say no more!

the people who act on your behalf send you a gift card.... which you give to the person ( say On their birthday)

Make sense? Its direct..no money lost ( sometimes if you give to the wrong org. you lose 80c in the dollar to administration!)

So I like it a lot!

The Stormin Mormon said...

I donate to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, as I lost a brother to Leukemia several years ago. I want to do everything that I can to help keep people from going through that pain.

Del said...

Todd: That's a good suggestions - I've never been to a burns unit but I can only imagine how terrible it would be.

Ju's: I guess you are right...some ppl donate to make themselves feel better (I guess we all do in a way)
If only I could start my Del needs to Travel Charity and I could come visit the Sth Island!

Malnurtured Snay: Haha - you have to donate $$ to yourself occasionaly!

Arq. Torres: That's very thoughtful of you. I guess you never really understand how hard it is for some ppl until you visit the issue itself.

Eileen: I have plenty of pair of new Socks I can donate to you. =)

Steph: Thanks hun

Simon: Thats such a great idea. At least you know every cent in your dollar is going to those who need it

Stormin Mormon: I can totally understand that!